New: Your feedback can help make our next website better!

Platted in the 1890's, as a middle class residential area to serve the new campus in Dunn's Woods, the South Dunn District is a short walk from downtown. Perhaps the most significant home in the district, the Legg House is part of an early farm which once commanded 6 acres along the only street running east through town, Third Street. This early brick Hall and Parlor house was once owned by the grandparents of Indiana University president William Lowe Bryan and today is still associated with the school.


A range of Victorian styles are represented in the district. The most common form is cross-gabled with several examples being two story rather than the more common single story cottage. The house at the corner of Dunn and Smith presents a cross gable to the intersection with a central entrance placed so that the door faces the corner, one of a few examples of this kind of site plan in the city. Facing across the street is a large Queen Anne style home that contains elements of the Free Classic style.

This district is enlarged since 1986. It expands west along Smith Street to include a rather uniform group of small Victorian cottages and bungalows built between 1900 and 1915. Many of these have good integrity although nearly all are rentals. The South Dunn Street district is endangered by lack of maintenance and pressure for redevelopment with higher density housing. Long ago proximity to campus encouraged its development for family homes, now it threatens to cause its destruction.

Historical Properties for South Dunn