On March 21, 1893, The University Park Land Company subdivided some of the land between 10th and 12th into what is called The University Park Addition. In 1900. John Millis, president of that company, lived in a house at 903 E. Cottage Grove (now demolished). Henry A. Woolery acted as secretary to the venture, and together they developed and eventually sold off the plots of land to various families who together would form a neighborhood.

The University Park Addition included land north of Tenth, and between Forrest Ave. and Dunn Street, but excluding a small chunk of land west of Woodlawn to the alley between Park and Fess, and just south of Eleventh. David E. Andrews soon built a house at 715 E. Tenth Street, and lived there for many years while helping the neighborhood grow and develop.

He was a carpenter and along with his own house, built many of the other houses in the area. David and Hattie lived at 715 E. Tenth until their deaths (Hattie in 1932, David in 1949) after which, their children, Henry and Francis, obtained ownership and parts of the family continued living there for many years.

Andrews_Park

The Andrews, along with a couple of other families, were linchpins of the community from the very beginning, creating a closeknit and memorable neighborhood. Other families of local interest, who resided there, are the Hinkles and the Headleys. The Hinkles are local legends for starting Hinkle's Sandwich Shop, which grew from a small corner shop at 403 E. Tenth, to having three locations around town.

It also received national recognition in 1978 when it was listed as "one of the 82 places where a person can buy a great hamburger" in a National Radio Survey. Another family of interest is the Faris family, who owned and ran Faris Brothers Meat Market, located at 208 N. Walnut. Jude Faris, who was a brother in the Meat Market, lived with his wife and daughters at 709 E. Cottage Grove throughout the 30's. And in 1930, H. S. Costas built the house at 828 E. Cottage Grove, which is still owned by the Costas family.

They were well known for owning The Book Nook, which was a well known local hotspot, bar and dance hall, which featured such acts as Hoagie Carmichael.The architecture of the neighborhood is a mix of modest Arts and Crafts bungalows, along with a few vernacular houses comprised of Gabled-Ells, Kit Homes, Shotguns, Four Squares, and Victorian houses.

There are also a couple of modern apartment structures and a few empty lots where original houses once stood. Indiana University is encroaching on the East and North sides. The neighborhood today is made up mostly of students with very few families remaining, if any at all. Yet the fabric is still evident of the beginnings of this area.