The area that now comprises the Monon study area was created from Seminary Lots 66 and 67. The oldest residential neighborhood was Railroad Park (1891), located adjacent to the Monon Railroad Round House which is now a part of McDoel. In the early days, the extension of Hillside west of Walnut was called Railroad Street, and led to the Monon yards. Walnut Street was simply called South Pike. Rogers was named Bedford Pike.

Sarah and Phreborn Pauley, who were significant landholders in Perry Township and descended from its earliest settlers, originally owned the land. When the Driscoll Plat was recorded in February of 1916 there were only two houses in the area. One of these remains at 106 East Hillside. The land for 239 lots was subdivided by the Driscoll Land Co., whose president was William Graham, later the owner of Graham Motor Sales and developer of the Graham Hotel (1929).

The Cazee Addition was recorded in 1926. The plat includes both sides of Monon Drive, and the west side of Walnut. It was one of the earliest plats signed by the newly formed Plan Commission and establishes building setback lines at 20' from the edge of the right-of-way.

Monon

Residential development in Monon seems to have taken place largely in the 1920's. The principal style is the Craftsman Bungalow in its three most common forms: California, Front Dormer, and Western. The streetscape along South Lincoln Street, which is unified by a coursed limestone embankment, dramatically shows the variety and consistency of the bungalow style: a front facing gable with cut out porch in the western style, an asymmetrical double front facing gable in the California style, a side-gable bungalow with cross gabled dormer. All these forms are at identical setbacks and side yards.

An identifying characteristic of the neighborhood are the numerous tapestry brick houses along South Walnut These buff and burnt orange wire-cut bricks are laid in common bond, with the wire cuts giving the impressions of header and stretcher courses. These houses may have been built by C.D. (Clove Denton) Mitchell, a contractor who lived in the house at 1503 South Walnut and the brother of Stanley Mitchell, the builder of the commercial structure at 1500 South Walnut.

The survival of two commercial buildings, coinciding with the residential development, is rare within Bloomington. In early twentieth century, shopping was in closer proximity to residential areas and pedestrian access was assured.

A list of residents from the late 1920's includes primarily employees of the Monon Railroad with a smattering of stone and furniture workers. Firemen, electricians, conductors, helpers, and engineers all lived along Walnut.