Building and Trades Park Building and Trades Park (2 acres) is located at 619 W. Howe St. across from Bloomington Hospital.
Find Building Trades Park
See a map of Building Trades Park (PDF 1.17 MB)

Hours: Park is open from 5 a.m. - 11 p.m. daily.

Bloomington Parks and Recreation Park Property Rules

Report a problem in in Building Trades Park

Meet Stephen Bailey, Building Trades Park Ambassador

Stephen Bailey Stephen BaileyThe Park Ambassador program was launched in 2011 to involve community members that will promote the appropriate use of Bloomington's city parks, and serve as liasions between the community and the Parks and Recreation Department.

Stephen is retired and enjoys visiting area parks. He feels this was a meaningful way to give back to the community.


Basketball Goals: Five goals

Parking Areas: Nine spaces, located off of Howe Street. Designated wheelchair accessible parking space.

Loop Trail: This ΒΌ-mile loop trail surrounds most of the park. Portions of the trail are also used as a sidewalk, and include a boardwalk.

Play Field/Playground: Open green space, accessible playground

Restrooms: Located near Howe Street, open seasonally

Shelters: The Park's single reservable shelter is located across from IU Health - Bloomington on Second Street and can accommodate 25-30 people. It is wheelchair accessible with accessible restrooms nearby. There is a grill and access to water at the shelter, but no electricity. The shelter rents for $47/weekdays and $50/weekends and holidays, and is reservable between April 1 and October 31. There is a picnic table located by the parking lot.

Building and Trades Park

HISTORY
Building Trades Park was first known as the "Second Street Park." The park land had been owned, sequentially starting in 1895, by the Henley Stone Company, Oolitic Stone Company and South Side Stone Company; it was once the site of a limestone mill. South Side Stone left the land around 1920. Neighbor and area historian Don Shiflet said the quarry holes were still present on the property, although there were no buildings, in 1927.

In about 1949, businessmen Ralph Rogers and John R. East helped fill in and smooth the site. East used clinkers from his coal business. The park is named Building Trades Park because it was established with help of local union workers. Records show the parcel was purchased from the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce on July 26, 1949 for $1.

The multiple-use concrete slab area was completed in August 1967. New playground equipment was installed in 2003. The shelterhouse was renovated in 1981 and rehabbed in 2009 by the Labor and Trades Union.