City of Bloomington, Indiana – John Hamilton, Mayor

closed: Can't Fix #136821

Drainage or Runoff: Complaint

Email: Rick Alexander forwarded the following email: ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Rick Rhodenbaugh <rjradman@sbcglobal.net> Date: Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM Subject: Storm drain issues To: engineering@bloomington.in.gov I recently moved to Bloomington, 1101 W. Yellowwood Ct. There is a city storm drain that dumps a river of water from the south side of my property all the way the way to the other end, then continues into the neighbors yard. As you can see in the attached photos, this is causing a great deal of soil erosion, property damage and negatively affecting the value of my home. When I purchased the home, I was told there were no issues with water. But I am now told by neighbors the previous owners spent a lot of time and money trying to repair the damage. I do not have the time or the money to throw at what seems like a city issue. Please let me know how we can resolve this. Thank you, Rick. Rhodenbaugh

Assigned to
Jane Fleig


3/28/2014 08:52:52 Closed by Jane Fleig

Constituent was notified by email on 3/19 this is not a City issue.

3/19/2014 13:28:37 Jane Fleig followed up on this ticket

I replied by email with the following: Mr Rhodenbaugh, Your email was forwarded to our department because we are a storm water utility. I understand your frustration with the situation and the fact the previous owners may not have disclosed this issue. However, this is not an issue the city is responsible for. Developers are required to plan for and provide areas for storm water runoff. The drainage off streets and other parcels within the development must be directed somewhere, and if there is not another feature such as a pond for the water to go to, the developer directs the water along the contours of the land (in your case this means it needs to get to the drainage way along the east side of your property). The private property owner is responsible for dealing with that drainage once it is beyond the right-of way. So even though some of the water comes off a City street and flows through City drainage pipe to reach the edge of the public right-of-way, it becomes the private property owners responsibility after it leaves that point. I checked the plat for your subdivision and there is a 25' drainage and utility easement along the eastern side of these parcels. The easement puts the property owners on notice that drainage and utility infrastructure may exist in this location but it does not make the City responsible for maintenance. I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks, Jane Fleig, PE Utilities Engineer

3/19/2014 13:28:01 Jane Fleig assigned this case to Jane Fleig

3/19/2014 13:28:01 Opened by Jane Fleig

1101 W Yellowwood CT


Other cases for this location

StatusCase DateCategory
closed9/26/2016Drainage or Runoff