Skip to main content

Page last updated on April 20, 2023 at 3:19 pm

How to file a traffic accident report

Call 911 for emergencies. For non-emergencies, call (812) 339-4477. The call taker will need to know if anyone is injured and the type of injuries. Also report the location and the number and types of vehicles involved. The call taker will determine which emergency personnel are needed and send them to your location.

Please have your driver's license, vehicle registration, and vehicle insurance card ready to present to the officer when he/she arrives. The officer will investigate the accident and file a police report if necessary under state law.

If you are involved in a minor damage accident (combined damage estimate of all vehicles involved is less than $1000), drivers are not required to call the police. Drivers should exchange the following information before leaving the scene: name, address, telephone number, driver's license number, vehicle information including license plate, and vehicle insurance company name, policy number, and telephone number.

File an Incident Report

Some incidents may be reported online through our Online Incident Reporting system. If the incident does not meet the reporting system requirements, call (812) 339-4477. Advise the call taker that you want to report an incident. They will take necessary information from you.

An officer will then come to your location or call you by telephone, depending on the nature of the incident. You may also file a report in person at BPD, 220 East 3rd Street. Reports can be made twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

Criminal History Checks

To request a limited criminal history on yourself or a potential employee, print the Request for Limited Criminal History (PDF) form. Complete and sign the form, then mail the form to the Bloomington Police Department, 220 E 3rd St, Bloomington, IN 47401, along with a check or money order for the fee of seven dollars ($7). Include a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope so the requested information can be returned to you. You may also request the limited criminal history in person at the Bloomington Police Department Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm.

Obtaining Public Records

To obtain a copy of a police report, request statistical information, request photos, or any other police record other than a car accident, please complete the Public Access Request form.

To obtain a copy of body or dashboard camera recordings, please complete the Body Dash Camera Request Form.

The form can be dropped off or mailed to the following address:

Records Division
220 E. Third St.
Bloomington, IN 47401


Completed forms may also be submitted via email to:


To obtain a copy of an accident report (for car accidents), come into the Police Department Headquarters at 220 E. Third St. or mail a check or money order for eight dollars made payable to the Bloomington Police Department, a self-addressed postage-paid envelope, and a paper request which should include as much of the following information as possible:

  • date and time of the accident
  • location
  • persons involved
  • incident or case number

See more services and their fees