Skip to main content

Page last updated on September 14, 2022 at 3:38 pm

Does the City handle any complaints a tenant may have against a landlord, or vice versa?


If a complaint involves rental housing quality or safety issues that are covered by the Bloomington Municipal Code (for example, improper or ineffective heating or electrical service), and if the property is in the City limits, a complaint may be filed with the HAND Department at City Hall, either by calling 812-349-3420 or by downloading and completing this form. More information about filing a complaint can be found here.


The City Legal Department cannot advise individuals on legal matters. Their only client is the City of Bloomington. If you have questions about landlord/tenant rights (for example, how to terminate a lease, or how to evict a tenant), you should consult the terms of your lease, a private attorney of your choice, or one of these organizations:

  • IU Student Legal Services for students at Indiana University. 310/312 N. Park Ave. 812-855-7867. 
  • Indiana Legal Services for income-eligible renters. 214 S. College Ave. 2nd floor. 812-339-7668.
  • Community and Justice Mediation offers free dispute resolution to neighbors, neighborhoods, tenants and landlords, or organizations experiencing miscommunication or conflict. 205 S. Walnut St., Suite 16. 812-336-8677 or