Skip to main content

The HAND Department investigates rental complaints about violations of the Residential Rental Unit and Lodging Establishment Inspection Program. If you are having maintenance problems in your rental unit:

  1. Notify the landlord/agent of the problem. Keep a record of when you communicated with them.
  2. Give the owner a reasonable amount of time to take care of the problem.
  3. If the problem has not been corrected after taking these steps, come in or call the Neighborhood Development Division. An appointment will be scheduled for an inspector to come and investigate the reported violations.

All rental complaints must be signed by the complainant.

Complaint form (if this form is not fillable when opened, please download it first)

If violations are found, the owner will be issued a notice with an itemized list of repairs that must be made, and they will be given a deadline by which those repairs must be completed and reinspected.