HAND banner

Welcome to HAND!

HAND logo

In our department you will find assistance for buying a home, organizing a neighborhood association, preserving historic property, resolving concerns about housing code violations or rental grievances, and much more. Click here to read a message from the director of the HAND department, Lisa Abbott.

This department is located in Ste 130 of City Hall.

Public Notice for the 2014 Annual Action Plan (PDF 237.48 KB)

Beat the Meter Blitz!

Welcome to Bloomington!

Bloomington receives thousands of new neighbors each August and the HAND Department would like to welcome them all. Follow the link to our welcome page above for a goldmine of information about the City, and of living in any of Bloomington's vibrant neighborhoods, each with its own spirit. Welcome to your home!

New Title XVI: Residential Rental Unit and Lodging Establishment Inspection Program

Here is a link to the new Title XVI Code:

Residential Rental Unit and Lodging Establishment Inspection Program

New Title VIII: Historic Preservation and Protection

Here is a link to the 2013 revision of the historic preservation code: Title 8 Final Revision (PDF 94.09 KB)

Citizen's Advisory Council for the Community Development Block Grant seeks new members for 2015-2016

The City of Bloomington is an entitlement community that receives an annual allocation of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds from HUD (an entitlement community is a city or urban community with a population of 50,000 or more which, because of its size, receives CDBG grant funds directly from HUD). CDBG funds are allocated annually by the Citizen Advisory Council

The Citizen's Advisory Council for the Community Development Block Grant is inviting citizens to serve on the Council for the 2015-2016 grant allocation process. Appointees to the Council attend 5 meetings between November and January. The committee reviews the applications for CDBG funds and recommends CDBG fund distribution to the Redevelopment Commission, the Mayor and the City Council.
To apply go to www.bloomington.in.gov/apply or pick up an application in the Office of the City Clerk at 401 N Morton Street (Showers City Hall) Suite 110.

Quick Links in HAND

Boards and Commissions in HAND

Bloomington Historic Preservation Commission

Bloomington Redevelopment Commission

Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association

Board of Housing Quality Appeals

Housing Trust Fund Board of Directors