Skip to main content

Page last updated on November 15, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Frequently Asked Questions

I work for an employer who I think is supposed to pay me a living wage, but he's paying me only $8.50 an hour. Where do I go to file a complaint?

Your employer may or may not be violating the ordinance - it depends on several factors, including whether the living wage ordinance applies to your employer, what job you're doing for your employer, whether you have access to health insurance benefits from your employer, among others. If you have questions or want to file a complaint, contact the Contract Compliance Officer at 812-349-3429 or

I filed a complaint that my employer wasn't paying the living wage, and you got me back wages. But then my employer fired me for complaining. Can she do that?

The Living Wage Ordinance prohibits retaliation for filing a complaint. Contact the Contract Compliance Officer so we can investigate your allegations.

My employer pays me the required living wage for the time I work on our project with the City, but only $8 an hour for the other work I do. Is that legal?


My employer pays me the living wage, but in cash, without taking any deductions. Is that legal?

It's not a violation of the LWO. But it may be a violation of state and federal laws. Call the Indiana Department of Revenue, (812) 339-1119, or the IRS, (812) 337-7600, for more information.