Skip to main content

CITY ALERT

Tell us what you think about our updated website

Click to learn more

One of the discussions of the first City Park Board meeting in 1921 concerned the acquisition of this narrow strip of land. Originally the Jacob & Loretta Miller Homestead, it was purchased by the city in 1929 for $1. It contains two notable sculptures: "Axis" and "Red, Blond, Black, and Olive."

Miller-Showers Park was awarded a Community Enhancement Award in October 2004 by the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, and was presented with an Outstanding Project Award by the Indiana Urban Forest Council in October 2005.

Miller-Showers Park, from 2001 - 2004, underwent a significant facelift that transformed the area from an often flooded and little-used strip of land to a state-of-the-art stormwater retention facility and beautiful gateway to the city of Bloomington. The Park's large holding ponds retain stormwater that drains from more than 170 acres of downtown Bloomington. A .6 mile accessible, multi-use trail circles the Park and allows views of the ponds and sculptures from all sides. A pier, pedestrian bridge, and interpretive signage complete the picture.