Skip to main content

Page last updated on September 7, 2023 at 2:32 pm

Park Special Use Permits

Park Special Use Permit Application

A Special Event Permit may be required if your gathering meets any of the following criteria:

  • 100+ participants
  • Advertising or marketing to the public
  • Selling and/or distributing food, goods, or services to the public
  • Charging admission or similar fees to the public
  • Use of temporary structures (such as tents, inflatables, porta-lets, etc.)
  • Use of the one of the stages
  • Amplified music
  • Organized walk, run, or parades (may also require Parade Permit depending upon route)
  • Requests for exclusive use of locations normally intended for first-come, first-served public activities (such as pickleball courts, skate park, etc.)
  • Requests for exclusive use of locations not normally accessible by the public

Events that meet the criteria for a Park Special Use Permit. Permit applications should include a site plan, timelines, and application fee.  See Park Special Use Permit application for detailed information. 

The permit process can take from three to five weeks to process. If the permit is approved the organizer will receive a Letter of Approval and an Invoice. Additionally, the organizer will need to provide a Certificate of Event Liability Insurance listing the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation as an additional insured. No event marketing should occur before permit approval.

Contact for information or send application to Hsiung Marler,

Events in Peoples Park 

Peoples Park Use Application

Events at Peoples Park may not require a Park Special Use Permit.  Fill out a Peoples Park Use Application for organized activities in Peoples Park.

Contact for information or send application to Crystal Ritter,

Fitness, Music, Art, Dance, Sports, Dog Obedience, and Other Class Permits

Hourly Park Permit Application

Instructors of classes or personal trainers who charge clients a fee for their activities must obtain a special use permit to hold classes in City Parks. The Hourly Park Permit provides guidance for hourly use of parks spaces for various groups. The Hourly Permit accommodates for fitness, art, and music classes, as well as sport practices/clubs or sport specialized coaching. For information on applying for a permit, contact Bloomington Parks and Recreation at

Contact for information or send application to Shelby Drake,

Mobile Stage Rental

Mobile Stage Rental Application

Groups may apply to rent Bloomington Parks and Recreation's mobile stage for big performances within the City of Bloomington city limits. The mobile stage site must have access to electricity. Stage rental fees are based on a per-day rate, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. The mobile stage may be transported only by City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation personnel. A refundable deposit is required.

Contact for information or send application to Crystal Ritter,

Requesting Approval for Alcohol Sales at a Special Event

Guidelines for Requesting Approval for Alcohol Sales

Groups may request to serve beer and/or wine at event, once the group has successfully applied for a Special Event Permit. Beer and/or wine ONLY may be served in city-owned parks, trails, and facilities, and ONLY with approval. In addition to a Special Event Permit, groups requesting to serve beer and/or wine must submit a proposal outlining how alcohol serving guidelines will be met before qualifying for a temporary alcohol permit through the Indiana State Alcohol and tobacco Commission. The Board of Park Commissioners, and Administrator of the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department, will approve or deny requests for alcohol sales.

Contact for information Hsiung Marler,

Noise Permits

Noise Permit Application

If the event on Park Property includes amplified sound or music it may require a Noise Permit.  

Contact for information or send application to Hsiung Marler,

Permits for Filming on City Parks and Recreation Properties

Filming Permit Application

It is the policy of the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department to allow filming and photography when it is consistent with the protection and public enjoyment of city resources and does not interfere with the public's normal use and enjoyment of the park.

There is no cost to obtain a filming permit, and filming permits are good for the duration of the project for which they are approved.

Special permission is required if the filming, video taping, sound recording, or still photography:

  • involves taking photographs for the purpose of commercial advertising
  • could result in damage to park resources
  • could result in significant disruption of normal visitor use
  • requires access to areas normally closed to the visiting public

For a complete list of activities prohibited in city parks, see the Filming Permit Application. For more information about obtaining a filming permit, contact Julie Ramey, Community Relations Manager, at 812-349-3719 or