Skip to main content
Feedback

One of the discussions of the first City Park Board meeting in 1921 concerned the acquisition of this narrow strip of land. Originally the Jacob & Loretta Miller Homestead, it was purchased by the city in 1929 for $1. It contains two notable sculptures: "Axis" and "Red, Blond, Black, and Olive".

Miller-Showers Park was awarded a Community Enhancement Award in October 2004 by the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, and was presented with an Outstanding Project Award by the Indiana Urban Forest Council in October 2005.

Miller-Showers Park, from 2001 - 2004, underwent a significant facelift that transformed the area from an often flooded and little-used strip of land to a state-of-the-art stormwater retention facility and beautiful gateway to the city of Bloomington. The Park's large holding ponds retain stormwater that drains from more than 170 acres of downtown Bloomington. A .6 mile accessible, multi-use trail circles the Park and allows views of the ponds and sculptures from all sides. A pier, pedestrian bridge, and interpretive signage complete the picture.