Skip to main content

Page last updated on July 12, 2023 at 10:41 am


What services does City of Bloomington Utilities Department provide?

CBU provides water, wastewater, and stormwater services to Bloomington and part of the surrounding area. See a list of all services provided by the department. City Utilities Department does not provide electrical, gas, or cable TV service.


When is my Utility bill due?

Your bill is due on the last business day of the month. The date will vary slightly from month to month; see your latest bill for this month's due date. 


Why do I have a Service Call Fee on my bill?

Regular service calls are completed on the next available business day, or may be scheduled in advance for a specific date in the future.  When a service request requires a technician to turn the water on or off, a service call fee is assessed.  Please refer to the chart below for examples of when a fee may be added to your billing statement.





Sign up for service that is already on the same date you start your service, then the service is transferred from one customer to the next with NO service call fee.

Disconnect your service, and a new signer schedules to transfer the service into their name effective on the same date, then NO service call fee will be applied.

     No Fee

n/a; transfers are only completed during normal hours

Sign up for service that is OFF on the date you requested to start your service.  A service technician will turn the water on, and a service call fee will be applied to your first billing statement.

Disconnect your service, but there is no new signer scheduled to take over the service by that date, then a service technician will turn the water OFF and a service call fee is applied to your final bill.


n/a; only scheduled during normal hours

When an AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY turn on is needed, a service technician is dispatched to turn the meter on. 

When an AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY turn off is needed, a service technician is dispatched to turn the meter off.



Normal Service Hours are: Monday - Friday, 7:30am to 6:00pm.  After Hours includes anything outside of the normal service hours, or a City of Bloomington designated holiday.


I lost or didn't receive my bill. How do I know how much I owe?

Call our Customer Service department at 812-349-3930 or sign in to our online system at and log on with your account number and name as they appear on your bill.


How can I pay my water bill?

You have four basic options:

  • Automatically pay with Aqua Pay -- Sign up for our preauthorized automatic payment option, which allows for prompt payment directly from your checking or savings account each month on the date your bill is due.
  • Online Payments -- You may now pay your water/wastewater bill online with a debit or credit card. To sign in, go to and log on with your username and password. If you have not yet set up a username and password, click on the "Create Profile" link to do so.  You will need your Utilities account number and the name on the account to create your profile.  Once you are signed in, click on the "Make a Payment" link in the Billing Status box, fill in the form, and click the "COMPLETE PAYMENT" button. Be sure to only click the button once!
  • Mail -- Payment stubs should be mailed in the envelopes provided to: CITY OF BLOOMINGTON UTILITIES DEPARTMENT ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE P O BOX 2500 BLOOMINGTON IN 47402-2500
  • Drop box -- You may use the drop box at our office at 600 E. Miller Drive (corner of Henderson & Miller). The front entrance is open 6 a.m.-8 p.m.

In-person payments are not available due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


What if I can't pay my bill by the due date?

If you are experiencing financial hardship, please reach out to us! We are available to help customers manage their utility bill through these challenging times. We have several tools available to help customers facing financial challenges, including payment plans and direct financial assistance. Contact Customer Service at (812) 349-3930 or Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., or after hours at (812) 339-1444.

Apply now online or contact Customer Service to discuss your specific needs at 812-349-3930.


How much is a typical water and sewer bill?

The bill is calculated based on the size meter you have and the amount of water you use. Most residential households are served by 3/4 inch meters. The following table shows the calculations for a typical residential customer in the city limits with two people and four people living in the household. Please see the rate schedule for more information. These rates are effective as of January 1, 2020.

Number in Household 2 people 4 People
Meter Size 3/4" 3/4"
Gallons Used 5,000 10,000
Units Used 5 10
Fixed Water Charges-Meter $7.91 $7.91
Fixed Water Charges-Fire Protection


Water Charges-Usage $4.04 x 5 = $20.20  $4.03 x 10 = $40.40
Water Charges-Tax ($20.20 + $7.91 + $3.10) x 7% = $2.18 ($40.40 + $7.91 + $3.10) x 7% = $3.60
Wastewater Charges-Meter $9.17 $9.17
Wastewater Charges-Usage $8.95 x 5 = $44.75 $8.95 x 10 = $89.50
Stormwater Charge $7.50 $7.50
Total Bill $94.81 $161.18


How do I connect to sewer if my house is on a septic system?

The first step is to call the City Utilities Engineering division at 812-349-3689 to determine if your residence is close enough to the sewer system to connect. If it is not, the engineers will evaluate the feasibility of getting your neighborhood served. If sewers can be extended to serve your neighborhood and 60% of the property owners request service and put up deposits, a project will be implemented to extend sewer to your neighborhood. The total cost of the project is divided evenly among the number of homes served.


Where does our Drinking Water Quality Information come from?

Monroe Reservoir, commonly referred to as Lake Monroe, is the sole source of water for Bloomington. It is located six miles southeast of the city, has a drainage area of 441 square miles and a surface area of 10,750 acres at normal pool level. The lake is owned by the State of Indiana Department of Natural Resources and maintained by the Federal Army Corps of Engineers. According to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, the dependable yield from the reservoir is 122 million gallons per day. Of this amount, 25% is committed to withdrawal by all users of the reservoir. The Army Corps of Engineers maintains the pool elevation of Lake Monroe, which is usually 538 feet above sea level. The City purchases water from the State of Indiana for use at the Monroe Water Treatment Plant. More about Lake Monroe


What happens to the water I flush?

Sanitary sewage wastewater normally flows by gravity through underground pipes to one of Bloomington's wastewater treatment plants where the water is treated physically, chemically, and biologically before being discharged back to the environment. The pipes follow the natural drainage of the land and get larger as you go downstream. Gaps in the gravity sewer system are overcome by installing sewer lift stations at low points in the area where the wastewater collects in large manholes and is pumped to gravity sewers further downstream. Most residential neighborhoods are served by 8-inch diameter gravity sewers; the largest gravity sewer in Bloomington is a 48-inch pipe. People who live north of 12th Street are served by the Blucher Poole Wastewater Treatment Plant, south of 12th is served by the larger Dillman Road Wastewater Treatment Plant.


What is an easement?

An easement is the right afforded a person or company to make limited use of another's real property. Utility companies obtain easements for the installation and maintenance of power lines, telephone or television cables, and gas, water, and sewer mains.

New development is required to grant easement to City of Bloomington Utilities Department for all public sewer and water lines within the development. Certain water, sanitary sewer, or drainage projects involve acquisition of easements from property owners. Depending on the nature of the project, the CBU may require that the easements be contributed in order to allow the project to proceed, or may offer fair market value compensation.